Strategies For Parents To Manage Children With Autism At Home
1. Physical Activity:
- Engage in sensory activities like jumping on a trampoline, playing with textured objects, or using therapy balls.
- Encourage outdoor play, such as going for walks, bike rides, or playing in a park.
- Consider enrolling the child in sports or recreational activities tailored to their interests and abilities.
2. Interactive Games:
- Play interactive games that promote social skills, turn-taking, and joint attention, such as board games, puzzles, or building blocks.
- Use interactive apps or computer programs designed for children with autism that encourage learning and social interaction.
- Limit excessive screen time, as it can interfere with social engagement and physical activity.
3. Peer Interaction:
- Facilitate opportunities for peer interaction, such as playdates with classmates or participation in social skills groups.
- Encourage joining recreational activities where the child can interact with peers who share similar interests.
- Create a safe environment at home by childproofing areas that could pose a risk.
- Establish clear safety rules and routines to help the child understand and follow safety guidelines.
5. Reading Books:
- Read books together that are age-appropriate and align with the child's interests.
- Use visual supports like pictures or storyboards to enhance comprehension and engagement.
6. Positive Reinforcements:
- Implement a system of positive reinforcement to motivate and reward desired behaviours.
- Praise and acknowledge the child's efforts and achievements, focusing on specific behaviours or skills they exhibit.
7. Types of Activities:
- Consider activities that align with the child's interests and strengths, such as art projects, music therapy, sensory play, or imaginative play with dolls or action figures.
- Use structured activities that promote learning and skill development, like sorting objects, matching games, or interactive educational apps.
Remember, every child with autism is unique, so it's essential to tailor activities and strategies to their specific needs and preferences. Observe and learn from your child's responses to different activities to identify what works best for them. Consulting with professionals experienced in autism can provide further guidance and support.
Book an Appointment to Get Assistance with Dr. Ashish Aujla